Articles & Reviews
Philip Temple’s first press article appeared in 1961 and over the succeeding half century he has contributed to all of New Zealand’s magazines and newspapers and written for international publications such as Reader’s Digest. His principal themes have been travel and adventure, conservation, electoral reform and Berlin and Germany.
A selection of his more recent published articles and reviews are included here.
- Sir Edmund Hillary: A Reliable hero – This article appeared in the Christchurch Press following Sir Edmund Hillary’s death on 11 January 2008. (download PDF)
Berlin and Germany
- The Empty Heart of Berlin – This article appeared in the Otago Daily Times in June 2010. (download PDF)
- Never Ending Stories -This article appeared in the New Zealand Listener in May 2004.
- The Morning After – These two articles about Die Wende appeared in New Zealand newspapers in 1990, soon after the fall of the Berlin Wall. They were later translated and included in Dies ist eine wahre Geschichte, an anthology of writing by New Zealand authors in Berlin (DAAD/Goethe-Institut 2002). (download PDF)
MMP – New Zealand’s electoral system
- MMP Review: Pollies Should Butt Out – This article appeared in the Otago Daily Times and NZ Herald in August 2012, following the announcement of the Electoral Commission’s recommendations for reforming New Zealand’s electoral system. (download PDF)
- MMP Review – Philip Temple’s submission to the Commission’s 2012 review. (download PDF)
- Touchstones – by James McNeish. Improving the news. Memories of times past. This review appeared in the New Zealand Listener in September 2012. (download PDF)
- The Hungry Heart, Journeys with William Colenso, by Peter Wells; Give Your Thoughts Life, William Colenso’s Letters to the Editor, Compiled by Ian St George. This review appeared in Landfall On-Line in July 2012. (download PDF)
- Into the Silence: The Great War, Mallory and the Conquest of Everest – by Wade Davis. Mallory’s Moby Dick; Trench warfare on Mount Everest. This review appeared in the New Zealand Listener in January 2012. (download PDF)
- Himalayan Hospitals, Sir Edmund Hillary’s Everest Legacy – by Michael Gill with Lynley Cook. I came to believe I belonged there; Unexpected insights into Ed Hillary and his doctors. This review appeared in the New Zealand Listener in October 2011. (download PDF)
- South-West of Eden, A Memoir 1932-1956 – by C.K. Stead. This review appeared in Landfall On-Line in March 2011. (download PDF)
- Sir Edmund Hillary, An Extraordinary Life – by Alexa Johnston. Radiant Living. This review by Philip Temple appeared in New Zealand Books in January 2006. (download PDF)